Film Permitting

Film Permitting
Douglas County does not issue film permits, but other approvals may be required depending on the location of filming or type of production.

Where Do I Start?
Depending on the location of filming, if you are blocking roadways, if you plan to use pyrotechnics, etc., approvals may be required. Start by contacting the Planning Technician at 775-782-6217 or email the Planning Department. You may be referred to another agency if your project is not within Douglas County’s jurisdiction.

Just need to use a park or facility?
Contact that agency about use requirements. Here’s a list of agencies that may require a permit or fee to use their facilities.

Douglas County Parks
Town of Minden
Town of Gardnerville
Town of Genoa (775) 782-8696
Indian Hills General Improvement District
Gardnerville Ranchos General Improvement District

Filming on BLM or USFS Land
Bureau of Land Management
United States Forest Service
   Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest  (775) 882-2766
   Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit (530) 543-2600

Register Your Project
Nevada law (NRS 231.128) says you must register your production with the Nevada Film Office. The form can be accessed here.

Do you qualify for tax incentives?
Visit the Nevada Film Office to learn more about state incentives.

Access more resources
The Nevada Film Office provides a variety of resources and support (including finding filming locations) for hundreds of productions annually. Contact them to make your next production a success!